A Voice For The Community

"I am blessed. I had a wonderful and encouraging support system in my husband, family, and a few nurses who sensed my determination and frustration. I had opportunities to attend support programs and join groups of supportive women who understand. I have formed friendships and am surrounded by great people who share their knowledge. And I have learned. I have learned that every woman not only has a right to choose what is best for her and her child but to make an informed decision and receive support" Jillian, nursing mama to Jack Angelo

This is place to share the stories that come along with being a nursing mama. Wether you breast-fed your baby for 1 day or 3 years, we're not here to judge, simply to listen. Listen to what happened when you tried your best for 3 whole weeks only to be defeated. Listen to how being a mommy changed the way you looked at the world. And all the other stories, insights and moments that fall in between the complex and the truthful lessons you learned from your baby.

Read. Enjoy. Share. This is the voice of the nursing community.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Been There, Done That...I Still Choose Breast Feeding!

Here's a nursing story from a mom of three:


"First baby, awesome experience. He was a natural, no thanks to the nurse, who insisted that he stay in the warmer rather than get on the breast in the C/Section recovery room. Notice to everyone: There's a magical window of time, about the first hour after birth, where it is SO IMPORTANT to get the baby on the breast. It sets the stage for breastfeeding success, stimulates production, etc. I don't need to explain it here. Google it!

After 4 months though my milk started drying up. I tried fenugreek and BreastTea and all the natural methods to increase production before figuring out I was pregnant again and giving in to FORMULA. We supplemented with FORMULA more and more until by 8 months he was fully on FORMULA. Why am I capitalizing FORMULA?  I don't know. Maybe it's my way of pointing out that I've used it. I had to embrace it. The idea of supplementing with another mom's milk wasn't even anywhere in my mind. Maybe Milkshare.com didn't exist in 2007. Even if I had, hubby probably wouldn't have approved of giving someone else's milk to our baby. Of course, processed, dried out, rehydrated milk from a farm animal is ok, but the milk of another human is questionable. Hmm.

Second baby, born 14 months after first, pretty good natural latch, but was helped a little by the nurse, correcting the way she moved her tongue. She nursed till 15 months, and then I got pregnant again--or maybe I got pregnant and then weaned her. Whichever way it was, weaning and pregnancy were too close together to be sure. She was and is very small for her age, so I never really had to deal with being judged for nursing a toddler.

Third baby, awesome nurser from the beginning, still going strong at 9 months. He's got 8 teeth and is using them more than I remember #2 using her teeth. I may have to seek help soon from an expert to figure out what's going on with his teeth and my nipples."



Check out Peggy's Blog:
 "I probably qualify as a Lactivist, but realize that formula has to be available to those who truly need it. Before you get offended, please realize that I sincerely just want to help people overcome their nursing hurdles. I'm friends with plenty of formula feeders. It's not about judging and bashing formula feeders. It's about helping those who WANT to breastfeed, or who are trying to make a decision."
http://craftycrofts.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment