A Voice For The Community

"I am blessed. I had a wonderful and encouraging support system in my husband, family, and a few nurses who sensed my determination and frustration. I had opportunities to attend support programs and join groups of supportive women who understand. I have formed friendships and am surrounded by great people who share their knowledge. And I have learned. I have learned that every woman not only has a right to choose what is best for her and her child but to make an informed decision and receive support" Jillian, nursing mama to Jack Angelo

This is place to share the stories that come along with being a nursing mama. Wether you breast-fed your baby for 1 day or 3 years, we're not here to judge, simply to listen. Listen to what happened when you tried your best for 3 whole weeks only to be defeated. Listen to how being a mommy changed the way you looked at the world. And all the other stories, insights and moments that fall in between the complex and the truthful lessons you learned from your baby.

Read. Enjoy. Share. This is the voice of the nursing community.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's official-I am a lactivist!

Voting for my last poll "Are You A Lactivist" closed today and the results showed 46% of voters would consider themselves a mom who supports and speaks out for the nursing community.   It's amazing to me how natures way of feeding baby needs activists, but it does!  It seems nursing anywhere longer than 6 months has fallen out of style over the years and been updated with a more socially friendly version-formula feeding!  The funny thing about formula is that it replaced 'wet nursing', or the services of a lactating mama for another family.  That's what it was intended for, to help the mama's who needed it.  It has, over the past 30 years or so, become breast milks competition. And somehow along the way as the use of formula became more and more popular and the practice of nursing became less and less common the general knowledge of lactating became more and more scarce.  With knowledge and understanding of how to nurse becoming less available, it is understanding that a formula ad could appeal to an expecting mom as her first choice in infant nutrition.  However much I totally agree you have to do what is best for your family, lack of information is a poor excuse to choose formula--and here I speak out!  I am a lactivist!  I do not hate on formula feeding mamas, I simply acknowledge that there is too little good information and support in the nursing community and I want to help!  For the moms who wanted to nurse but were told they couldn't, for the moms who nurse their toddler and are asked why, for all the moms who are being impacted by that shift in feeding baby over the past 30 years that can only be credited to the money hungry formula companies-I will speak for you!  -kinda picturing Barack Obama rallying right now:)

53% of voters labeled themselves pro-breastfeeding and 0% hide nursing or are against nursing their babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment